I hope your week has been incredible! I am really looking forward to the clocks going forward this weekend so that we can start to enjoy the lighter evenings. All we need now is some warm, sunny weather to go with it!
As you will know from previous blogs that I have written, I have become totally passionate about using essential oils to support health, emotional wellbeing and spiritual connection. In this blog, I wanted to share with you the reasons why essential oils have become such a big part of my life and why it has become my mission to bring oils in to as many homes as possible.
What are essential oils?
If you have ever enjoyed the scent of a rose, you’ve experienced the aromatic qualities of essential oils. These naturally occurring, volatile, aromatic compounds are found in the seeds, bark, stems, roots, flowers and other parts of plants. They have long been used for food preparation, beauty treatments and health-care practices.
How do you use essential oils?
- Peppermint Oil can be used to aid digestion as well as clear a stuffy head
- Lemon Oil can be used as a natural way to detox your system
- Lavender can be used to remove the sting from burns and heal the skin more quickly
- Melaleuca (also known as Tea Tree Oil) can be used as a natural antiseptic
Essential oils can be used in 3 ways:
Aromatically – certain essential oils when diffused can be very stimulating, while others can be calming and soothing. Diffusing essential oils can also purify the air of unwanted odours and some airborne pathogens.
Topically – Essential oils are easily absorbed by the skin and can be safely applied. Essential oils can be very potent so it is recommended that you dilute the oils with a carrier oil to ensure you don’t have any skin irritation.
Internally – Some oils can be ingested to support a number of health and wellbeing goals.
How I support my health and wellbeing using oils…
I discovered the Brand of oils I use (DoTerra) about 6 months ago now and they have literally transformed my life. Because I have seen so many benefits from using them personally, I decided to incorporate oils in to my regular coaching business so that I could help women on a physical, emotional and spiritual level. I believe that the combination of coaching tools I use, in conjunction with the essential oils that I recommend, provide a holistic solution that empower women to live an elevated life.
The first oil I used was a blend called SERENITY and it was a gift from my own coach. Serenity is the Restful blend and is known as the oil of tranquillity. This oil is a gorgeous combination of Lavender, Cedarwood, Ylang Ylang and others and is designed to relive stress, lessen emotional overload and calm anxiety. At the time I was gifted this oil, I was having trouble sleeping and I felt overwhelmed. I started diffusing this oil in my room before bed and rubbing some on my pulse points and I had the best night’s sleep. It has become one of the oils that I share with people most frequently.
In the run up to Christmas, you will remember that everyone seemed to be going down with a horrible flu bug. Rob and I both went down with it and there were two oils that really helped us to recover far more quickly than other people seemed to. The two oils were BREATHE (Respiratory blend) and ON GUARD (Protective Blend).
BREATHE is a gorgeous blend of Eucalyptus, Peppermint, Tea Tree Oil amongst others and you can literally feel it clearing your airways and your head as soon as your inhale it. When we were both blocked up and full of cold, Breathe became a life saver. It is also a beautiful oil to support anyone with respiratory issues such as Asthma.
ON GUARD is something I use on a regular basis to support my immune system. Apart from the fact that is an incredibly protective blend, it also smells divine (almost like Christmas in a bottle). It is a combination of Wild Orange, Clove, Cinnamon and others. Whenever I start to feel run down I start diffusing this oil and I also take a daily supplement for a couple of days just to give my immune system some extra protection. Rob picks up a lot of colds from working in a school and On Guard has certainly reduced the number of bugs he brings home!
Having seen so many benefits from the use of the oils personally, I decided to become a Wellness Advocate for Doterra in January which means I am now able to share the benefits of oils with other people and support them to integrate them in to their lives to support their health and wellbeing in a natural way (without the toxins and chemicals that come from traditional beauty and cleaning products).
For me to be able to share these oils in an authentic way, I felt that I really needed to walk the talk and use the oils in my daily routine so that I can be an advocate from true experience.
My daily routine now incorporates oils as a matter of course. Adding them in to your existing routine is the easiest way to maximise the benefits of plant magic!
- Every morning I meditate using two essential oils – WILD ORANGE and BALANCE. This starts my day beautifully.
- I shower using essential oil shower gel and I use the natural shampoo and conditioner which is amazing if you have tangly hair!
- I use all natural face cleaning products including a Peppermint face cleanser which smells amazing and leaves your skin clean and soft
- I use a natural body moisturiser that I can add essential oils to. I love this because it means I can pick a different oil each day to suit my mood and all chemical free!
- I take daily supplements that are essential oils based to support my cellular health
- I have a glass of water and put a drop of lemon oil in support my body in cleansing itself
- I use oils throughout the day depending on what I need. My favourites are LEMON if I need to focus, PEPPERMINT if I need a lift or ON GUARD if I need extra immune support.
- At night, I diffuse BREATHE or SERENITY in my bedroom to ensure a good night’s sleep.
The changes I have seen in others…
Through these oils, I have had the privilege of positively impacting the health and wellbeing of other people which makes my heart happy. I have seen:
- Someone who has battled depression and anxiety find a new lease of life through being able to manage their mood by using different oils at different times.
- A close friend who has battled with stomach issues for years suddenly find a way to manage stomach pain using DIGEST ZEN, the blend for easing digestion
- A young mum manage all the challenges you face when raising a young family such as colds, teething and mood management (hers and her children!)
- Numerous people achieve a more restful night’s sleep!
Do you want the really good news?
The thing that lights me up most, is that the company that have enabled this, DoTerra, are ethical and have values that I totally buy in to and endorse. They are not the cheapest product on the market and for that I am grateful. I know that sounds odd!
The essential oil industry is not regulated. It means that companies can say what they want on labels, dilute the product and cut it with other things whilst still calling it an essential oil.
Doterra have invested in having every litre of the oils they harvest tested by third parties. This means their oils are qualified as Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade, the highest grade you can get. They only grow the plants in the habitats where they are meant to grow as this ensures the oils are the most potent and provide the most benefits.
More importantly than that, they support the farmers and communities where the oils are grown to ensure they get a fair price for the plants and that they have sustainable sources of income. Most of the plants are grown in developing countries so DoTerra support these communities by ensuring there is fresh water and by building necessary infrastructure such as schools. You can find out more about the impact DoTerra are having in this short video CO-IMPACT SOURCING.
If you are interested in knowing more about how these oils can support you achieve better health and wellbeing I would be happy to provide a 1-1 consultation to identify the best oils to support you and advise you about how to purchase these oils at wholesale price (25% discount).
Alternatively, if you would like to know more about how you could become a Wellness Advocate and share oils with others please get in touch. I would be happy to share my experience with you.
Until next week